Tuesday 9 October 2007

September '06 - First impressions


Sorry for delay in sending email, but getting internet access has proved a little difficult to date, but I am now sorted so here is my first news!



The journey out proved quite eventful, we were due to fly direct from Brussels to Yaounde (the capital), taking about 6 hours, arriving around 4.30 pm. In the event, the previous days flight had been aborted due to an engine failure, so our flight doubled up going first to Douala, then Kinshasa in the Congo before doubling back to Yaounde – adding a mere 3000 Km to the trip and about 9 hours given the extra landings and take offs – so we arrived about 1 in the morning rather frazzled.



Anyway, the first week was then spent having our in country training, issues around culture, language, health, security and so on. This was ok, but actually mostly pretty boring but it was good to meet my fellow volunteers – there are around 30 in total in the country now, 15 of us new this trip – although no one else is in my town, nearest are about 2 hours away by bus so will see them occasionally if at all. We were staying in a monastery (no end of fun when you go with VSO!) but managed a few evenings out, including one fantastic night at a local cabaret where the speciality was erotic dancing – most enjoyable and quite tastefully done – no nudity just plenty of body movement. As ever there was audience participation and yes I made a prat of myself as usual, but it was a good laugh I think for the audience.



So last Saturday, I met my employers for the first time and they took me to my new home for the next 2 years, here in Bafoussam, which is in the West province, population around 200,000 and growing and is a busy, noisy city. My employers seem great so far and have made me feel very welcome and valued for my expertise – more of that and what I have been asked to do in my next email but suffice to say I think I will be starting from a more or less completely manual system, around 5 branches with no network links - so that will be very interesting and challenging. Today I had my first introduction to all the branch staff in the branch here as well as the general manager – this took the form of a prayer meeting – with their own pastor - then full introductions, hugs and handshakes all round – not quite how I usually start a working day! I was then shown the suite of offices they are getting ready for me – I hope I can live up to their expectations!



As far as my living accommodation is concerned it is going to take some getting used to – good things about it are that it seems quite safe, I have 2 bedrooms, a lounge , kitchen and bathroom, a fridge and a small balcony (for hanging up the washing only!). Not so good things are that it is very, very sparsely decorated, currently has 2 pots (one of which leaks, the other is made of some composite material that almost works like metal), one blunt kitchen knife and NO HOT WATER – so cold showers for the next 2 years unless I can locate a good plumber and get the system upgraded if possible. This lack of hot water has been a feature of Cameroon so far, so this did not come as a total surprise and given that they want me to start at 7.30 each morning I will probably need waking up big time! VSO do give out a grant to equip the accommodation so I will be able to gradually do it up – watch this space for news on home improvements. If you come to visit be prepared to wield a paint brush – the walls are a kind of uniform shitty brown right now – not very nice. The picture shows the front of the building - I am on the top floor at the back!



The weather is also quite interesting – it’s currently the rainy season here, which runs until sometime in October or November (every one I ask gives me a different answer) , then it’s dry until sometime in March, then it’s wet again until next November etc etc! So much for working on the tan. The daily pattern so far seems to be dry in the morning, with some sunshine, then around 1.30 or so it pours down, for the rest of the day, with intensity varying from light shower to totally torrential. I can begin to understand why people get depressed by this, although the Cameroonians seem to take it all in their stride! It also gets dark around 6.30, so with no street lights and shop lights it’s really, really dark – you get the picture I’m sure.


No comments: