Wednesday 10 October 2007

February '07 - One wedding, no funerals!



Hi all

Just a short report this month, as not a lot has changed here in Bafoussam in January, plus the main excitement for me was my brief return to the UK for my daughter Jacqui’s wedding!


The trip back was full of contrasts, the most stark being the airports – flying out from Douala International airport – one restaurant and two bars, plus a small tourist shop – into Zurich – 3 huge terminals, connected by super efficient underground train, glitzy shops, umpteen bars and restaurants – just a very good reminder that there are several different worlds on this earth – took a little adjusting to.

Anyway, got back to London in one piece, apart from struggling with a broken toe – did this a week before, ten in the morning, sober, fell into a hole in the road – had visions of walking down the aisle on crutches. Luckily, this was avoided by a trip to A&E in Lewisham, massive painkillers and ice packs being prescribed. As I also went to my dentist whilst back felt a little bit of a health tourist!

Also managed to cram in a trip to Chelsea, saw them progress to the next round of the FA Cup, saw my good friends there, plus a booze up with some old work mates on the Monday – felt like I was in a very strange place!

Therefore, to the main event – the wedding – this was held in a beautiful old church in the village of Cam Dursley in Gloucestershire, with reception in a Georgian mansion house next door, which we hired for several days jollity! It all went really well, I have attached a few pictures that I took just so you can see my lovely daughters and rugged son in full Scottish rig – they all looked really great, everyone laughed and a few cried at the right moments in my speech. The whole day passed off really well, ending around 3am I gather, with some frolicking in the hot tub – I had gone to bed by this point!

The next day was one for walks around the countryside – very nice at this time of year and again a complete contrast to the weather here – some games on the lawn, then back up to London for an early flight back – a real short sharp shock to my system! It is odd how we adjust to things – when I got back here it felt like coming home, which I suppose it is at least for another 18 months.

Regarding work, will give fuller report next time, plus news of my first tourist trip around Cameroon which is happening at the end of February - but we are getting there – stock control implemented, payroll installed, and all specifications signed off on the main banking system, still hope to go live in a couple of months with the first products.

As ever, welcome any news, views from home

No comments: